http://jpdindex.com is a solr search engine that indexes the daily police bulletins for Juneau, AK. It has all the functionality of solr and cool features like fuzzy text matching. I had originally envisioned a web/mobile combo with the capability of location based alerts (geocoding addresses), but gave up because of the following:
- Lack of timely publishes (bulletins don’t get published at a consistent time.
- Cases published in the bulletin follow very loose conventions.
- Some don’t have addresses
- Sometimes cases are created in error and this is only indicated in the description
- Difficulty in extracting data out of pdf form.
Still it was a fun project and is blazingly fast. I most often use it to search street names/addresses to see what’s been happening there recently. The proof of concept android app is here: